Thursday, September 17, 2009

Stuff it.

Ok world. Here I am.

I recent read the infamous Dooce's blog. She had written about all the hate-mail she had been receiving.

Now, I'm not a huge Dooce fan. I could take it or leave it.

But what I can't seem to comprehend is why so many people seem to have an objection to her. They call her self-absorbed. A leech on society. They don't like that she makes money off her blog. They think she exploits her children. And so on and so forth.

Well, this is my message to them: GROW THE FUCK UP.

I'm sick and tired of people's pre-conceived notions as to how a blog should be used, and what is or isn't appropriate to post.

Bottom line, it's her blog. Not theirs. So the way I see it, she can put whatever the hell she wants in it. And if thousands of people read her blog (which they do) and she makes a little money off of it, who gives a fig. I mean, really. It sounds to me like they're a bunch of jealous whiny snot-nosed idiots.

Aherm. Now that I have that off my chest...I'll get to the main topic of this delightfully anger-inspired post.

What is a blog to you? To me it's a writing exercise, in and of itself. It's also a way for me to put my opinions out there, to ramble on and on about whatever insignificant little thought passes through my mind. Because, let's face it, if I ranted like I do here to any sane person in the "real world," they'd probably try to have me committed.

Granted, it does puff my ego a bit (especially when people comment...hint hint), but that's not why I created it. I'm not setting out to change the world here. I'm not trying to contribute to society.

I'm just writing.

It may not be great writing, hell, it may not even be good writing. But it's my writing, world, and if you don't like it you can just stuff it.

So, the question begs some answering. What is a blog to you?

Have a nice day! :)

4 comments:

  1. A blog is just another form of self-expression and in my opinion its a great one. Anyone can do it and you can speak as publicly or as privately as you want. It also helps if you love to write, like me.

    It just speaks volumes to people's insecurity when they bash another blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me a blog is somewhere you can post what you are thinking about, dealing with, or whatever. Like Angie said, it's a form of self-expression.

    Speaking of blogs...you have a great one.

    thewheverblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie and Whevergeek:

    I agree with both of you - it's a form of self-expression. A wonderous thing in and of itself, a place where you can absolutely be yourself with no repercussions (supposedly).

    And thankyou! I think it's pretty spiffy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post... I started off as a huge Dooce fan, but after following her for almost 5 years now, I feel she's turned into a bit of a martyr almost. She almost sounds condescending now, but I think you can only get that if you've been following her from the days of genuine to the days of genuine-but-with-an-MO. I still think she's great, but I don't love her as much anymore. I dunno, something has changed.

    But regardless, I think a blog is a place to justify your existence. When anyone gives you approval -- or a comment -- you feel a little better about how the world is turning. When someone isn't interested in becoming a writer and just blogs or keep their thoughts in a public place, what are they trying to accomplish? They're trying to get an opinion out there and see if it matters to anyone else, I suppose.

    I love blogging because I love writing though... I think that was the actual answer to your question! Thought provoking post, awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Because I'm needy.