Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Simple

Life, as it turns out, never ceases to sneak up behind me and say "Boo!"



Sadistic bastard.


I was walking to my car today when, out of nowhere, a tree jumped in front of me. I, of course, smashed into it and fell backwards.

Go. Me.

Looking up at the sky (as I was now laying on my back in the cold, cold weather) I noticed a few birds flitting by. Hoping that they wouldn't shit on my prone body, I gingerly stood up.

And came face to face with Garage Cat.

His name is Nick. He first showed up about three or four years ago around Christmas time (hence the name Nicholas - not my idea, I swear). He's a behemoth of a cat - he weighs over twenty pounds and stands up above my knee. He's not fat. Just huge. And fluffy.

I swear he's got mountain lion in him. He lives in our garage. His digs include a heated blanket, water bowl, a magical refilling food bowl, and all the crackcatnip that his stupid little kitty body can handle.

So, as I stared into his eyes (which are a peculiar shade of green-yellow, in case you were wondering), I couldn't help but think about him and what he must do during the day. What a life.

He eats. He sleeps. He prowls. His needs seem very basic, very simple.

And so it occurs to me that I might need to simplify my life a bit. I think that I, too often, get caught up in the little things. I forget that life really isn't supposed to be that hard, that really I'm just stressing out over things that are inconsequential in the big scheme of things.

That really, I just need to realize I have the freedom to be me.

3 comments:

  1. I approve. Simplify your life into what is You and not what is Everyone Else. As long as I'm part of it. Because I do not approve a change that does not include me and mollie.

    I try to be that way, but I still find myself caught up in other things that don't matter. I'm working on it. This whole Jobless thing is making it oddly Harder instead of Easier to focus on me being Me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Tree, coming out of nowhere like that !

    I don't know if life is meant to be easy or hard but I think it pays to live it. So when you let yourself wander and try to let the small things get you down, you will be able to do that.

    But it ain't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the past three years I have been trying to simplify my life. It seems so easy to get caught up in the little things that don't really matter; too easy to become overwhelmed by the running thoughts of a over-analyzed day to day.

    To find a balance between want and need; freedom and expectation. To accept what we need over what we want or think we need.

    despite my efforts I still find myself caught up from time to time. To have the life or a cat would be a gloriously simple thing.

    ReplyDelete

Because I'm needy.